Friday, July 27, 2012

Hwaseong Fortress


Back in June we headed up to the city of Suwon to see Hwaseong Fortress. According to the brochure, it has been used as a temporary palace and as a government office since being built in 1789. Most facilites 'disappeared' under Japanese imperialism, but remains were restored in 1996 and opened to the public in 2003. 

Overall, it was not a very neat fortress to visit. It was large and spread out with lots of empty space in-between.  They did have a few rooms decorated, which I appreciated.




We did manage to see their afternoon performance which was a variety show of traditional arts: dancing women, men playing instruments, and tight rope walking. 









The tight rope walker really liked to exaggerate his fake clumsiness. He was good at what he did but it went on for way too long.









I'm not sure what all these mannequins were lined up to display, but I got a kick out of their stiff and unnatural positions.



We hiked part way up a hill and saw this view. I was much too warm to climb up any higher.



 In case you needed directions...

This little splash pad was in front of the fortress. I remember commenting many times how strange it was that all of these kids were running through fully clothed. Little did I know it was just a taste of what was to come at the beach! 

Pretty field on the way out. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment